Tuesday, August 26, 2014

New gig.

photo credit

Remember this post that I did earlier this year? Well, it turns out I was right- a new adventure did pop up for me as I'm now a part-time contributor for a local magazine! The opportunity arose around March of this year when I first got word of a new magazine starting up. I wasted no time contacting the editor, and eagerly sent along some of my writing samples (which I had readily available thanks to this blog), had a meeting with her to discuss more of the magazine's focus, readership, possible future story ideas, etc. and like birds of the same feather, we immediately flocked together clicked!

I've so far written a few articles and come this fall, will have my first full feature article complete with photographs; so exciting for me! The part that I love most about this new gig is that I get to write about things/events/people that I'm already interested in because they're what make up my community. I've always been naturally drawn to meeting new people and learning about the latest happenings, so so far this has been a great fit for me as it keeps me in-the-know and out and about beyond my life as a mom of 3 kids.

When I started this blog 5 years ago, there were a few times along the way when I questioned what I was doing with it....what I should be doing with it....and even if it's worth doing? But the answer has always been the same for me....it was like a little voice kept telling me: Yes, Kate you should keep writing (said in the tone of "Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus"). By keeping up belief in this blog (even if a lot of it has been completely random, uninteresting nonsense....remember the time when I tried every kind of Kettle potato chip and then reviewed them?) it's kept up that inner part of me. The part of me that's hard to keep up during this all-encompassing parenthood.

They say writing is like a muscle, you have to keep at it. When I first started this blog, I didn't know what I wanted to say but now I know what I want to do...I want to keep challenging myself to try at something. Even if it's something small like starting my own blog, or writing for a local magazine. Both of these things have been a great way for me to branch out, connect with people, learn more about how I think and what I like, all of which have been crucial in helping me grow.


Here's to blogging, visiting, sharing, and writing! Thank you!



1 comment: